Sunday, August 18, 2013

Four Weeks of Elul 5773 - Week 3: Personal and Professional Relationships

Dear Friends,
 
Last week, I wrote about the importance of community. This week, I want us to focus on the individual relationships we share that are the backbone of creating a Kehillah Kedosha - a sacred community.
 
Martin Buber, in his classic work, I and Thou, teaches that there are two basic types of human relationships: “I-It” and “I-Thou”. An “I-It”relationship is one in which we interact with others for the purpose of gaining something. This can take place in the arena of commerce, entertainment or any other experience where we interact with others on a daily basis. An “I-It” relationship is not necessarily a bad thing: the majority of our relationships are this type. When I go to the store to purchase an article of clothing and I hand the sales person the required money, we have had an “I-It” relationship. When I work on a project with a co-worker, this too can often be an "I-It" interaction. Of course, these relationships have the potential to be destructive and manipulating –especially when we use them for the purpose of our own gain at the expense or hurt of others.
An “I-Thou” relationship, on the other hand, is not about business, personal or professional gain. It is the purest (and rarest) of all connections. According to Buber, when we come in contact with another person as a“Thou,” we experience the essential holiness of their soul. “I-Thou” relationships become the template for experiencing God in the world.
 
This time of Cheshbon Ha-nefesh (soul searching) during the month of Elul gives us an opportunity to examine the central relationships in our lives. Almost everything we do involves other people. We have different kinds of relationships: personal, professional, romantic and platonic. And yet, all of our dealings with others – both “I-It” and “I-Thou” - have the potential for holiness. The Torah teaches that every person is created in the image of God. How we treat others must reflect this awareness.
 
The Mishnah teaches that on Yom Kippur the sins we have committed against God will be forgiven if we are truly repentant. The sins we commit against others, however, cannot be forgiven unless and until we have asked those whom we have wronged to forgive us. In many ways, this is one of the most difficult aspects of Cheshbon Ha-nefesh. It means that we have to take risks by reaching out to others. We may encounter resistance, anger, or resentment. Sometimes it is impossible to reach out to others – and yet, it is our duty to do all that we can to assess whether or not reconciliation is possible. If there is a slightest hope –then we need to try – even if we fail.
 
The following questions are designed to help us think about the current status of the many different relationships in our lives. Again, this is by no means a complete list. Hopefully it will provide you with a starting point for improving the relationships in your lives.
 
1. Have I been able to see the holiness in those closest to me?
 
2. Are there people I have wronged to from whom I need to ask forgiveness?
 
3. Do I have the strength to take the risk of asking those whom I have wronged for their forgiveness?
 
4. Have I shut out the pain of others in other parts of the world? In my country? My City? My congregation? My neighborhood? My family?
 
5. Have I taken time recently to let the most important people in my life know how much I care about them?
 
6. Have I done all that I could to repair damaged relationships in my life?
 
7. Have I taken part in any business or personal transactions this past year that were against my religious, moral or ethical principles? Did I ever ignore the gnawing feeling in my Kishkes that told me that I took advantage of someone else?
 
As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions for additional questions and formats that we can use. This is by no means a complete list of questions. It is just a beginning. If answering any of them causes you to want to speak to one of the Temple clergy, Rabbi Immerman, Cantor Heit, Cantor Sacks and I would welcome the opportunity. Note that all of these materials will be available in several formats: electronically - via email, on our Temple website and Facebook page, in my blog: www.Rabbijoeblack.blogspot.com; and in hard copy at the Temple Office. If you know of anyone else who might want to receive these mailings – whether or not they are members of the congregation, please contact Susie Sigman at Sigman@emanueldenver.org .
 
May this time of Cheshbon Hanefesh be fruitful for all of us as we prepare to enter into the holiest days of the year.
 
L’Shalom,
 
Rabbi Joseph R. Black
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment