Sunday, April 12, 2020

Finding Anchors in Uncertainty: Week Four of Distant Socializing


Each year during Pesach, after the Seders are concluded (or logged off – which might be better vernacular for this year’s Zoom Seders), when the Haggadot are put away and the Seder plates and all of the ritual objects are stored for the next year, I have a recurring experience – usually around day 3 – when I realize that the fun is over and I will still be eating Matzah for the rest of the week. By day 4, I start to dream about crusty bread, pizza and pasta. Days 5 and 6 are worse. While the chicken soup and matzah balls were delicious for the Seders, after a while, the leftovers begin to lose their luster and the thought of the matzah brei that tasted so delicious on the first day becomes loathsome – I know that I have been infected by the dreaded mid-Pesach Matzah Plague. I begin to count the days until I can once again eat Chametz.

I thought about this when I realized that we are beginning the 4th week of sheltering in place and are starting to find a rhythm and routine during our isolation and distant socializing. Although we long for the ability to go to restaurants, attend services in person, take in concerts or plays, or even walk outside without face masks, we know that these simple pleasures are out of reach – and we don’t know for how long.

The Passover story tells us how the Israelites were delivered from the bondage of Egypt. This message of the power and beauty of our liberation has shaped us as a people. It is one of the most important foundation narratives of our faith and culture. And yet, our story does not end with God’s deliverance. It continues with a new beginning – as we wander for 40 years in the wilderness of Sinai. If you will recall, the Torah teaches that things don’t go all that smoothly in the beginning. We rebel. We make a Golden Calf. We complain about food – soon after we begin our journey when the Manna that God provides us becomes loathsome. We crave what we cannot have and we long for “The good old days in Egypt.”

Our ancient ancestors had no idea how long they would be journeying from Egypt to the Promised Land. The Torah, on the other hand, tells us the number of days, weeks and years of our journey. We know that we wandered in the Wilderness for 40 years. We also know that the journey from Egypt to the foot of Mt. Sinai took seven weeks. In Jewish Tradition, we count each of these 49 days in a ritual called Sefirat Ha-Omer – or counting the Omer. This also corresponds to the period between the first day of Pesach to the festival of Shavuot. This is traditionally a time of introspection and self-examination – much like the month of Elul that precedes the High Holy Days.

Just like the Israelites had no idea how long they would be wandering, we too, are facing the unknown. In many ways, the uncertainty of our situation makes it even more difficult.

One way that we can help ourselves in the midst of the unknown, is to focus on those things that ARE concrete. And so, this week, as we celebrate Pesach and begin counting the days to Shavuot, I want to suggest that we focus on those areas of our lives that are consistent, grounding and unchanging. As we sail together on uncertain seas, it’s important to know that we have both lifelines and anchors. The following are seven questions that might help to ground ourselves as we navigate this unfamiliar territory together:
  1. What relationships in my life sustain me and give me strength?
  2. How have I maintained these relationships?
  3. Are there people to whom I should reach out with whom I have lost contact that might appreciate hearing from me?
  4. Have I looked within my faith tradition to find rituals and practices that can give me comfort and strength during this time of uncertainty?
  5. Are there ways that I might give of my time and resources to help others find stability and solace?
  6. Am I taking care of myself physically, emotionally and spiritually in such a way as to allow myself to feel good about who I am and how I am coping with stress?
  7. If I am not happy with myself, have I reached out to others who can help – family, friends, counselors or Clergy?

Again – these questions are designed to help us think about ways that we might find the tools to ground ourselves during this uncertain time. Just like Pesach will soon end and we will once again be able to eat Chametz, so too will this period of staying at home will come to a conclusion. Let us strive to find that when that day comes, we will emerge from our isolation stronger, healthier and resolved to make a difference.

I look forward to seeing you soon – either online or in person.

L’Shalom,

Rabbi Joseph R. Black


No comments:

Post a Comment