Friday, April 1, 2022

Jerusalem Needs Love. (C). Rabbi Joe Black. April, 2022. All Rights Reserved.

In cafes, waiters pour sweet wine
While shepherds call their flocks
A golden light that transcends time
Has bested all the clocks
Crosses clash with minarets
Push has come to shove
A city filled with deep regrets
Jerusalem needs love.
 
The blinding sun leaps up at me
Reflected from white stone
Although I’m here all by myself
I know I’m not alone
The weight of ancient history
Haunts me from above
These walls are filled with mystery
Jerusalem needs love 
 

CHORUS or BRIDGE:
Jerusalem needs love
Like a river needs the rain
Jerusalem needs love
To wash away the pain
To bring us home again
 
An ancient poem that’s filled with promise
Pierces my cold heart
Soldiers march in step with psalmists
Joined and yet apart
A young boy holds a well-worn stone
In his ragged glove
The song of conflict’s constant drone
Jerusalem needs love
 
Bullet holes and Bible belts
Sultans dance with sages
The twisted  awe crusaders felt
While burning sacred pages
A falcon casts his hungry eye
His prey, a frightened dove
I walk without an alibi
Jerusalem needs love

2 comments: